[hfs-user] Free Space galore

Pierre Duhem Pierre Duhem <pierre@duhem.com>
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:33:15 +0100

Gordon,

GB>         My question is not an HFSx one per se, however, it's it in the
GB> ballpark: Since OS X.3 came along, the partition map is now being
GB> populated by default with a number of Apple_Free partition entries
GB> interspersing the user's specified partitions.  I'm curious whether
GB> anyone knows the rationale behind this.  I have my theories but I'm
GB> probing for a more definitive response, if one exists.

Not quite sure being on the spot, but since the Apple specs say that
the whole space on a disk must be allocated in the partition map, it
can happen that the division between the main partitions (driver
partitions, payload partition, etc.) doesn't make the total of the
sectors on disk. The rest should be represented in the partition map
by a Apple_Free partition.

My 2 cents...

--
Best Regards