[hfs-user] HFSX

Mark Day mday@apple.com
Thu, 6 May 2004 09:58:14 -0700

On May 6, 2004, at 3:15 AM, Pierre Duhem wrote:

> While reading the latest version of TN1150, I stumbled on the HFSX
> specification. I understand that this version of HFS+ should bring
> some simplifications for managing files coming from Unix volumes,
> while keeping case-sensitive filenames.
>
> Is this format already supported by Mac OS X.3 disk utilities?

It is supported by the command line utilities in Mac OS X 10.3.x.  The
Disk Utility application lets you select HFSX as a volume format when
erasing on Mac OS X Server only.

Note that HFSX volumes can be either case sensitive or case insensitive
(though if you want case insensitive, you might as well choose HFS Plus
for greater compatibility).  TN1150 describes how to tell whether
filenames are case sensitive.

-Mark