[hfs-user] Map nodes linked list

Pierre Duhem Pierre Duhem <lsduhem@duhem.com>
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:25:25 +0200

Hello,

I didn't like very much the code I had to check for an overflow of the
binary table used in the Extents and Catalog B-trees for the node
allocation.

Therefore, I had the idea to build this list when formatting. I
followed the specs and built a simply linked list from the tree
header. All nodes are empty, with only the downward pointer, the 2 as
node kind, a 1 since there is a single entry and the two offsets at
the end, 00 0E for the binary table and 01 FC (in the case of a HFS
node) pointing to itself.

But Mac OS X doesn't seem to like my idea, refuses to mount even an
empty volume, as soon as there is a map node linked list.

Who should build this list? Is it against the rule to build an empty
node list?

--
Best Regards
Pierre Duhem