[hfs-user] Device (Driver) Descriptor Block and block size

Pierre Duhem Pierre Duhem <lsduhem@duhem.com>
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:00:11 +0100

Hi Simon,

SB> There is a limit on the maximum size of any particular disk of 4 billion
SB> (2^32) * the block size, or 0xFFFFFFFF * sbBlkSize.  If sbBlkSize is
SB> 0x0200 as you say then the limit is about 2 Gb.
SB> I'd guess that to get around this either DVD's use a larger block size
SB> (0x2000 would adequately cover the 4.5Gb physical maximum on a DVD) or
SB> use HFS+ or some other system.

As far as I know, HFS+ volumes also have the same Device Descriptor
Block in sector 0. More, one could easily have a device with a first
partition in HFS and a second in HFS+. This block size is only used in
this DDB and in the partition table (the fourth unsigned long).

Therefore, it would not be that difficult to switch to another block
size just to manage the DDB and the partition table. One would in that
case put the beginning of the partition table, not in sector 1, but in
block 1 (that is, sector = block size / 512).

SB> Remember the only real reason why it is bad to use large block sizes is
SB> the wasteage that occurs with small files.  On a DVD you typically have
SB> less than 20 files, some of which are huge so the lost space is minimal.

This block size doesn't have anything to do with the allocation
block/cluster size, that is with the size of the chunks used to manage
the data space in the allocation bitmaps. As a matter of fact, HFS+
volumes frequently use 0x1000-byte blocks, but switch to 0x2000 for
bigger disks (from 100GB, I think).

On the other hand, DVD are not only used to store movies and likewise
big files, but also to store plain data files, when the size of a
CD-ROM is not enough. For such volumes, keeping the allocation block
size to 0x800 bytes is an advantage, in particular if you build hybrid
data structures with an ISO/Joliet catalog pointing to the same data
pool.

--
Bien  vous
Pierre Duhem