[hfs-user] Device (Driver) Descriptor Block and block size

Simon Bazley simon@eyeeye.com
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:48:40 +0000

There is a limit on the maximum size of any particular disk of 4 billion
(2^32) * the block size, or 0xFFFFFFFF * sbBlkSize.  If sbBlkSize is
0x0200 as you say then the limit is about 2 Gb.
I'd guess that to get around this either DVD's use a larger block size
(0x2000 would adequately cover the 4.5Gb physical maximum on a DVD) or
use HFS+ or some other system.
Remember the only real reason why it is bad to use large block sizes is
the wasteage that occurs with small files.  On a DVD you typically have
less than 20 files, some of which are huge so the lost space is minimal.