[hfs-user] Mac OS-X and HFS

nand@gmx.de nand@gmx.de
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:05:11 +0100 (MET)

Hello Listers,
                     I had worked on a cross-platform application a little
while ago to create images based on the HFS-format. My images work fine when
recorded on to a CD and read under Mac OS 9 but someone who tried reading them
under Jaguar complained that not all files got displayed. He had tried
creating a very simple image with three files at the root level named bild.bmp,
screenshot.jpg and test1.mpg.
The problem that only one file (bild.bmp) is displayed initially as present.
After searching for "." in the window all three files are shown in the
window.

Now what could this be due to ? I really want to get to the root of the
problem. Considering that the image is perfectly readable under OS 9 I *have to*
come to the conclusion that the OS-X Finder is making some specific
assumptions which deviate from the filesystem format specifications released by Apple.

Any suggestions/ comments as to what this could be due to and why I don't
have a problem under OS 9 as well ? Do you think it could have something to do
with the filenames or the filetypes ? Images with a large number of
text-files and pdf's seem to be getting displayed under OS-X perfectly.

Best Regards,
Nandini