[hfs-user] Floppy formatting

Patrick Dirks pwd@apple.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:28:56 -0700

On Thursday, September 26, 2002, at 09:01 AM, Pierre Duhem wrote:

> Bonjour Simon,
>
> Le jeudi 26 septembre 2002, à 17:21, vous écriviez :
>
> SB> Note thought that under HFS+ blocks size can be changed. Under HFS
> SB> it MUST be 512bytes.
>
> I don't think this is true. My formatter computes the block size with
> a simple division: 1 + (nb_sectors / 0xFFFF). I think I found this
> formula on some Apple document (Inside Macintosh ?).

Um, not sure exactly what you're trying to do but this could be
trouble.  On HFS the allocation block size was, by default, the
smallest multiple of 512 bytes that would make the total number of
allocation blocks fit in 16 bits.  On HFS+, however, the allocation
block size must be a power of two multiple of 512, i.e. 512 bytes, 1K,
2K, 4K, 8K, etc.  3K, for instance, would NOT be a valid allocation
block size!

See TN1150 (bottom of page 4).