[hfs-user] Floppy formatting

Pierre Duhem Pierre Duhem <lsduhem@duhem.com>
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:01:09 +0200

Bonjour Simon,

Le jeudi 26 septembre 2002, à 17:21, vous écriviez :

SB> Note thought that under HFS+ blocks size can be changed. Under HFS
SB> it MUST be 512bytes.

I don't think this is true. My formatter computes the block size with
a simple division: 1 + (nb_sectors / 0xFFFF). I think I found this
formula on some Apple document (Inside Macintosh ?).

SB> Changing it means its not a HFS disk anymore.
SB> Perhaps HFS+ requires a partition table. Have a read of Technote
SB> TN1150 for more information (regarding HFS+)

I read TN1150 several times along the years, from one of the first
editions, in 1999. I didn't read anything about the need of a
partition table. That is what one should conclude from reading IM and
other documents, but it is never stated so clearly. On the other hand,
I already saw many such media.

--
Best Regards
Pierre Duhem