[hfs-user] Floppy formatting

Pierre Duhem Pierre Duhem <lsduhem@duhem.com>
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:52:47 +0200

Hello,

In the past years, I've seen many times formatting utilities which
formatted removable media as floppies, that is, without partition
table and with the MBR (signature BR) in the 2nd sector.

When I test such a scheme under Norton Disk Doctor v. 5, the disk
passes, with some residual errors.

I'm now testing also under NDD 7 and Disk Utility, under OS X.1.4, and
the disk never mounts.

Is such a formatting scheme deprecated?

Under NDD 5, the program complains about the block size (I chose 4KB,
as I had noted from other media) and insists on having 512B sectors.

Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance.

--
Best Regards