[hfs-user] Format of '._' files on non-HFS(+) disks?

Mark Day mday@apple.com
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:59:53 -0700

On Thursday, June 27, 2002, at 09:53 AM, James Pearson wrote:

> However, do you know why '._' was chosen as the prefix for the
> resource/finderinfo file when the specs for AppleDouble state '%' ...

The leading "." is the Unix convention for making a file invisible.  I
think the underscore is to help avoid name collisions.  If memory
serves, other Unix-based implementations that stored AppleDouble (eg.,
AU/X and maybe NetATalk) adopted the same naming convention.

-Mark