[hfs-user] Wrapper and Readme

Patrick Dirks pwd@apple.com
Fri, 3 May 2002 02:52:31 -0700

--Apple-Mail-1--837321086

Hi,

It's probably pretty simple for testing purposes to remove the pointers =
to the "wrapped" HFS+ volume; the resulting disk image should then be =
just another HFS disk and you can use all the usual disk verification =
tools directly on it to see if there are any inconsistencies found.  If =
all is well and you can double-click your "ReadMe" and see what you =
expect you can be reasonably confident that a user on a non-HFS+-savvy =
system would see exactly that, too.

Good luck,
-Pat Dirks.

On Friday, May 3, 2002, at 01:44 AM, Entwicklung wrote:

> Hello Listers,
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Thanks =
to the friendly feedback I got I managed to get started off with =
including an HFS-Wrapper in my code. It seems to work ok now but I'm not =
too sure... I only have access to an iMac with MacOS 9 - my HFS+ Volume =
gets displayed but how do I get to verify if the ReadMe I'm creating in =
the Wrapper is ok ? The volume is recognized as an HFS+ Volume (since =
the embedded volume seems to be getting mounted directly) and I can do a =
GetInfo on it. Do I necessarily need an older Mac which doesn't support =
HFS+ to get to see the ReadMe ?
> =A0
> I have one more question - Is it possible to have a Wrapper for =
HFS-volumes as well=A0 - embedding an HFS-volume within another =
HFS-Volume ? I=A0guess this wouldn't have any benefits as such but =
theoretically it should be possible, right ?
> =A0
> -Nandini
> =A0
> =A0
> =A0
>
> The really bad thing about software
> is debugging it is a real nightmare
> when you weed one bug out
> then ten new ones will sprout
> 'til you get as mad as a march hare
>
> =A0
>
> *****************************************************=A0

--Apple-Mail-1--837321086

Hi,

It's probably pretty simple for testing purposes to remove the
pointers to the "wrapped" HFS+ volume; the resulting disk image should
then be just another HFS disk and you can use all the usual disk
verification tools directly on it to see if there are any
inconsistencies found.  If all is well and you can double-click your
"ReadMe" and see what you expect you can be reasonably confident that
a user on a non-HFS+-savvy system would see exactly that, too.

Good luck,

-Pat Dirks.

On Friday, May 3, 2002, at 01:44 AM, Entwicklung wrote:

Listers,</smaller></fontfamily>

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Thanks
to the friendly feedback I got I managed to get started off with
including an HFS-Wrapper in my code. It seems to work ok now but I'm
not too sure... I only have access to an iMac with MacOS 9 - my HFS+
Volume gets displayed but how do I get to verify if the ReadMe I'm
creating in the Wrapper is ok ? The volume is recognized as an HFS+
Volume (since the embedded volume seems to be getting mounted
directly) and I can do a GetInfo on it. Do I necessarily need an older
Mac which doesn't support HFS+ to get to see the ReadMe =
?</smaller></fontfamily>

=A0

=
*****************</smaller></fontfamily>