[hfs-user] Desktop View

Patrick Dirks pwd@apple.com
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 23:41:42 -0700

Hi Nandini,

The information the Finder uses to organize a window's layout is stored
in the Finder Info for the folder in question (where things like the
scroll position, view organization etc. are stored) and the Finder Info
for the individual items (each of which stores the position for the
item, for instance).

The Finder will set the layout information for a file if it sees the
"Inited" flag in the FinderInfo's flags field cleared.  Once a position
in the window has been assigned and the Finder has done its housekeeping
like reading application icons out of an application's resource fork the
Finder sets the "Inited" bit to prevent doing the same work again in the
future.

The layout of this Finder Info field is contained in the various "Inside
Macintosh" volumes, as well as header files like "Files.h".  It's
probably on-line in some technote on Apple's web site, too.

Hope that helps,
-Patrick.