[hfs-user] Desktop View

Entwicklung entwicklung@whengenibk.de
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:06:43 +0200

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C1EC30.23573E30

Hello,
     I need some help.
I'd like to know what part of the HFS format is responsible for how =
icons on an external CD-volume appear on the desktop of Mac OS 9. The =
desktop database holds the icon info but where is info. like=20
Window-sizing on the Mac, no. of icons per row, spacing of icons etc. =
stored ? Is this stored on the hard-disk of the Mac or is there some way =
in which I can get this to be stored on my CD as well ? Is this part of =
the desktop database too ?

The situation is as follows - when I insert my HFS-CD into my drive and =
click on the CD-symbol a window opens up displaying the icons for all =
the files present on the CD but they are not spaced properly and the =
view doesn't look all that good - Is there some way in which I can =
display these properly ? ..ie. say 'n' icons in one row etc ? Sometimes =
there are around 30 icons displayed for around 100 files on my CD... =
then a lot of empty space is displayed - which could mislead the user to =
think that no more files are present - and then the remaining 70 =
file-icons suddenly show up.

I presume this doesn't have to be stored on the external HFS-volume but =
rather has something to do with my Mac-OS settings... but I'm not too =
sure. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me which part is =
responsible for such things ? I'm not creating a desktop DB at the =
moment but this looks really bad and I'd like to change it if I can i.e. =
if this can be overcome somehow without having a desktop database on my =
CD.

TIA,
Nandini

********** It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves and it's not =
possible to find it elsewhere ************

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C1EC30.23573E30

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I need some=20
help.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'd like to know what part of the HFS =
format is=20
responsible for how icons on an external CD-volume appear on the desktop =
of Mac=20
OS 9. The desktop database holds the icon info but where is info. like=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Window-sizing on the Mac, no. of icons =
per row,=20
spacing of icons etc. stored ? Is this stored on the hard-disk of the =
Mac or=20
is&nbsp;there some way in which I can get this to be stored on my CD as =
well ?=20
Is this part of the desktop database too ?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The situation is as follows - when I =
insert my=20
HFS-CD into my drive and click on the&nbsp;CD-symbol a window opens up=20
displaying the icons for all the files present on the CD but they are =
not spaced=20
properly and the view doesn't look all that good - Is there some way in =
which I=20
can display these</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>properly ? =
..ie.=20
say&nbsp;'n' icons in one row etc ? Sometimes there are around 30 icons=20
displayed for around 100 files on my CD... then a lot of empty space is=20
displayed - which could mislead the user to think that no more files are =
present=20
- and then the remaining 70 file-icons suddenly show up.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I presume this doesn't have to be =
stored on the=20
external HFS-volume but rather has something to do with my Mac-OS =
settings...=20
but I'm not too sure. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me which =
part is=20
responsible for such things ? I'm not creating a desktop DB at the =
moment but=20
this looks really bad and I'd like to change it if I can i.e. if =
this&nbsp;can=20
be overcome somehow without&nbsp;having a desktop database on my=20
CD.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>TIA,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Nandini</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>********** It's not easy to find =
happiness in=20
ourselves and it's not possible to find it elsewhere=20
************</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C1EC30.23573E30--