[hfs-user] Problems with HFS+ empty volume...

Entwicklung entwicklung@whengenibk.de
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:44:00 +0200

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C1DBEF.8A5D94E0

Hello Listers,
                  I just wanted to check if anyone knows if it is =
essential to have an empty B-Tree for the attribute and startup file in =
an HFS+ image. In case of HFS these weren't present in my image. In case =
of HFS+ I've increased the node size of the catalog to 4kB and included =
the other changes as discussed. Only thing I haven't done is to create a =
B-Tree for the attributes file and the start up file - in short I'm not =
writing anything into the image for these and have set the respective =
extents, sizes setc. to 0 in the Volume Header. Is this right or should =
these be present in the image as 'empty' B-Trees ???

I'm right now creating an empty volume with 0 contents but just the =
basic structures needed (the way I started off for HFS). The only =
problem is that I don't have any utilities to create sample HFS+ images =
which I can cross-check my image with.... Disk Copy on my iMac with =
MacOS 9 creates only HFS-Volumes by default and Norton Disk Doctor on my =
Mac recognizes the volume as MacOS Extended but doesn't really bring me =
any further (since my Mac is unable to mount the volume). There seems to =
be a hfsplus reader on Sourceforge since the end of last year but I need =
something like a sample hfsplus writer. Any idea if sth like this exists =
on the Mac or on other platforms. My Mac has just a CD-drive (no writer) =
and no floppy drive which make file transfer as cumbersome as it can =
get.

Any idea why this fails ?  Would be glad for any suggestions/tips...

Regards,
Nandini=20

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C1DBEF.8A5D94E0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello Listers,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
I just wanted to check if anyone knows if&nbsp;it is essential to have =
an empty=20
B-Tree for the attribute and startup file in an HFS+ image. In case of =
HFS these=20
weren't present in my image. In case of HFS+ I've increased the node =
size of the=20
catalog to 4kB and included the other changes as discussed. Only thing I =
haven't=20
done is to create a B-Tree for the attributes file and the start up file =
- in=20
short I'm not writing anything into the image for these and have set the =

respective extents, sizes setc. to 0 in the Volume Header. Is this right =
or=20
should these be present in the image as 'empty' B-Trees ???</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm right now creating an empty volume =
with 0=20
contents but just the basic structures needed (the way I started off for =

HFS).&nbsp;The only problem is that I don't have any utilities to create =

sample&nbsp;HFS+ images which I can cross-check my image with.... Disk =
Copy on=20
my iMac with MacOS 9 creates only HFS-Volumes by default and Norton Disk =
Doctor=20
on my Mac recognizes the volume as MacOS Extended but&nbsp;doesn't =
really bring=20
me any further (since my Mac is unable to mount the volume). There seems =
to be a=20
hfsplus reader on Sourceforge since the end of last year but I need =
something=20
like a sample hfsplus writer. Any idea if sth like this exists on the =
Mac or on=20
other platforms. My Mac has just a CD-drive (no writer) and no floppy =
drive=20
which make file transfer as cumbersome as it can get.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Any idea why this fails ? =
</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>Would be glad for any =
suggestions/tips...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>Nandini</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C1DBEF.8A5D94E0--