[hfs-user] Difference in Data types??

James Pearson jcpearso@ps.ucl.ac.uk
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 12:57:31 +0100

>Certainly no simple formula for the catalog B-tree.  In part that is
>because the size of the catalog is determined in part by the lengths of
>the file and directory names (even more so on HFS Plus, where the keys
>in index nodes are variable length).  And for volumes that are modified
>over time, the order of operations will affect the size of the B-tree in
>complex ways.  I'm sure you could come up with a statistical guess based
>on average name lengths, average density of nodes (i.e. how "full" they
>are), etc.
>If that's too complicated, you could always fall back to assuming a
>constant size (maximum or average) for all of the records.  Don't forget
>that for thread records, the key is of fixed size but the data is
>variable (since it contains a variable-length string).

That's what I did for the mkhybrid code - I didn't want the catalog "file"
to grow, so by trial and error, I set the initial size of the catalog file
to twice the "default" used by the libhfs routines in hfsutils. This seems
to work OK for virtually all cases (if this is isn't big enough, the mkhybrid
code uses a brute force approach and 're-creates' the HFS side of the file
system with a new default size twice as big again ...).

James Pearson