[hfs-user] Re: Mapping of...

Entwicklung entwicklung@whengenibk.de
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 15:15:26 +0100

Hi,
      Thanks for responding!

> Thirdly,  every filetype available on a PC is availiable on a mac, as
> long as a compatible application is avaliable (so include all M$
> applications and adobe applications, and any other company thats any
> good).  The finder uses a long (4 bytes) to store the application type.
> There are therefore at least 64*64*64*64 possible applications that use
> normal ascii for that.  Have a look at netatalk for a list of some
> avaliable (the etc/AppleVolumes.system file contains a list).  On my
> system there are about 250 extension to Finder Tag conversions, but what
> most people do is run a netatalk application to regenerate that file,
> based on what a particular system has used.  Remember the Finder Tag
> referes to the Application that made it, not the file type, so things
> like .wav .jpg .gif may have several different tags, one for each
> application that can create them.  You need to pick the one that your
> system uses.

What I'm trying to achieve is to set the filetype and creator fields on my
external HFS-volume so that the correct icon appears on my Mac. I noticed
that say for a .jpg or for a .txt even if these fields contain 0 this
assignment  is automatically done by Mac-OS when an external volume is
mounted but for a .pdf or a .cpp file for eg. the generic icon appears. Once
I set some default filetype and creator for a .pdf file the correct icon
does appear.
So what I need actually is not a one-to-many mapping (of all possible
applications which deal with a particular kind of file) but some default
one-to-one mapping of standard applications used to open a particular file -
say MSWD for .doc files and so on.

I am not familiar with netatalk at all. Sorry if this is a newbie question
but how exactly do I proceed ?

Regards,
Nandini