[hfs-user] Mkhybrid application and HFS image

Simon Bazley sibaz@sibaz.com
Fri, 08 Mar 2002 15:22:15 +0000

I think you're getting a few things confused Biswaroop.

Firstly, HFS only supports one system of charachter incoding, MacRoman.
If your korean charachters aren't there, then you can't use them.

Secondly, when I installed hfsutils, I didn't use mkhybrid (the hard
links to the hfsutils application didn't work under cygwin, so I had to
guess at what to call it.  I never tried mkhybrid).  Cygwin is a massive
application (600Mb) if you install all of it, which you probably don't
need to do, so I'd suggest trying to get the setup.exe application
again.  It will download the relevant parts as needed depending on what
you choose to install.  You'll need gcc, binutils, make and cygwin (and
win32api) to make hfsutils.  Just select the whole compiler section in
the setup options.  The thing to remember though is that
cygwin/setup.exe is a symlink to cygwin/latest/setup.exe, so if you're
in an ftp browser, and you have problems with the main setup.exe, get
the other one.  To get cygwin goto http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html and
pick a mirror (such as ftp.mirror.ac.uk) then go to the latest
directory, et voila.

Thirdly,  every filetype available on a PC is availiable on a mac, as
long as a compatible application is avaliable (so include all M$
applications and adobe applications, and any other company thats any
good).  The finder uses a long (4 bytes) to store the application type.
There are therefore at least 64*64*64*64 possible applications that use
normal ascii for that.  Have a look at netatalk for a list of some
avaliable (the etc/AppleVolumes.system file contains a list).  On my
system there are about 250 extension to Finder Tag conversions, but what
most people do is run a netatalk application to regenerate that file,
based on what a particular system has used.  Remember the Finder Tag
referes to the Application that made it, not the file type, so things
like .wav .jpg .gif may have several different tags, one for each
application that can create them.  You need to pick the one that your
system uses.

A Hybrid CD contains 2 different partitions, only one of which will be
visible on a non linux system (I belive).  The difference being ISO
contains MBCS (or atleast DBCS) filenames, and supports file system
'extensions'.  I don't know what the standard is for the HFS part of
that.  I'd guess you can make the HFS partition HFS+, but apart from
that, don't use it unless you really need forks.

You need to decide whether forks are more important than filenames, and
decide what you're going to store where I think.  Unless forks are a
MUST, ISO is easier.

Simon