[hfs-user] Desktop Database

Gordon Beatty gbeatty@cpc.gc.ca
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 18:17:37 -0500

	Now, if only Darwin knew how to interpret it...

	Gord Beatty

-----Original Message-----
From: hfs-user-admin@lists.mars.org
[mailto:hfs-user-admin@lists.mars.org]On Behalf Of James Pearson
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 5:51 PM
To: Entwicklung
Cc: hfs-user
Subject: Re: [hfs-user] Desktop Database

>   Could someone tell me where exactly to find some documentation on the
>desktop DB for an external HFS volume?
>I came across some interesting info on Thomas Tempelmann's developer's
>site and it said that one would have to request Apple for further
>technical info (?!) but the website didn't really furnish the kind of
>details I need.
>I basically need info. as to how and where exactly (in the image) this
>file has to be present and what its exact contents (structure)
>are...links to any sample code, open sources or headers related to this
>would be greatly appreciated.

When I asked this question to someone at Apple (sometime ago) I was told:

 The files are considered undocumented proprietary information
 to Apple, and change format slightly from release to release and depending
 upon extensions added to the system. Apple won't disclose this information.

James Pearson