[hfs-user] Embedded volume..

Patrick Dirks pwd@apple.com
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:20:25 -0800

--Apple-Mail-1--412396953

Hi,

An "embedded volume" refers to an HFS+ volume that's tucked away inside=20=

an HFS volume (the so-called "wrapper volume").  The usual reason is=20
that older systems may know how to mount HFS disks but not HFS+ disks=20
and the wrapper volume usually just has a note explaining the volume=20
can't be mounted but their files aren't lost.

Systems that DO know how to mount HFS+ volumes also know how to=20
recognize embedded volumes and mount the embedded HFS+ volume instead of=20=

the wrapper volume.  I believe by default volumes initialized on a Mac=20=

in "Mac OS Extended Format" (HFS+) are created as wrapped volumes with=20=

an embedded HFS+ volume, although that may have changed in a recent=20
build.

Hope that helps,
-Pat Dirks.

On Thursday, February 21, 2002, at 11:32 PM, Entwicklung wrote:

> Hi,
> =A0=A0 what exactly does the term embedded volume mean? I've noticed =
that=20
> the HFS MDB has some fields related to this but the HFS+ volume header=20=

> doesn't seem to. I'm not really using these fields but I'd like to =
know=20
> what they're used for in any case. So if anyone could enlighten me I'd=20=

> appreciate it.
> =A0
> Regards,
> Nandini Hengen
> =A0
> =A0

--Apple-Mail-1--412396953

Hi,

An "embedded volume" refers to an HFS+ volume that's tucked away
inside an HFS volume (the so-called "wrapper volume").  The usual
reason is that older systems may know how to mount HFS disks but not
HFS+ disks and the wrapper volume usually just has a note explaining
the volume can't be mounted but their files aren't lost.

Systems that DO know how to mount HFS+ volumes also know how to
recognize embedded volumes and mount the embedded HFS+ volume instead
of the wrapper volume.  I believe by default volumes initialized on a
Mac in "Mac OS Extended Format" (HFS+) are created as wrapped volumes
with an embedded HFS+ volume, although that may have changed in a
recent build.

Hope that helps,

-Pat Dirks.