[hfs-user] HFS verification & testing

Mark Day mday@apple.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:21:23 -0800

--Apple-Mail-1-250228849

On Thursday, January 10, 2002, at 11:00  PM, Entwicklung wrote:

> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I'v=
e been looking for documentation to read up=20
> on HFS/HFS+ and hybrid a bit since I have to test an existing=20
> HFS-Format. Does anyone know of any test-software which=A0is freely=20
> downloadable for the purpose of testing HFS-CD's? The most basic test=20=

> would be of course to see if the CD is readable by a Mac but that=20
> wouldn't point out the individual errors present in the format=20
> generated or where exactly these errors are occuring.
> In case of UDF which is another fs format a UDF-verifier from Philips=20=

> is freely downloadable from the internet and extremely useful in=20
> pointing out the individual errors present in an image i.e. at which=20=

> points it fails to conform to the UDF-Standard. Does anyone happen to=20=

> have/know of anything similar for=A0HFS which one could use for this=20=

> purpose ?
> =A0
> As far as documentation is concerned I have the technical notes for=20
> HFS-Plus and chapter 2 of 'Inside Macintosh' for HFS. I couldn't come=20=

> across any other literature of significance. I'd be grateful for any=20=

> further links as well.

You might look at fsck_hfs, which is part of the Darwin open source=20
project at Apple (see <http://www.opensource.apple.com/>).  It is more=20=

oriented towards fixing problems rather than describing them, but it's a=20=

start.  And of course the Darwin kernel contains the filesystem code for=20=

HFS and HFS Plus.

-Mark

--Apple-Mail-1-250228849

On Thursday, January 10, 2002, at 11:00  PM, Entwicklung wrote:

=
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I've
been looking for documentation to read up on HFS/HFS+ and hybrid a bit
since I have to test an existing HFS-Format. Does anyone know of any
test-software which=A0is freely downloadable for the purpose of testing
HFS-CD's? The most basic test would be of course to see if the CD is
readable by a Mac but that wouldn't point out the individual errors
present in the format generated or where exactly these errors are
occuring.</smaller></fontfamily>

another fs format a UDF-verifier from Philips is freely downloadable
from the internet and extremely useful in pointing out the individual
errors present in an image i.e. at which points it fails to conform to
the UDF-Standard. Does anyone happen to have/know of anything similar
for=A0HFS which one could use for this purpose ?</smaller></fontfamily>

=A0

concerned I have the technical notes for HFS-Plus and chapter 2 of
'Inside Macintosh' for HFS. I couldn't come across any other
literature of significance. I'd be grateful for any further links as
well.</smaller></fontfamily>

</excerpt>

You might look at fsck_hfs, which is part of the Darwin open source
project at Apple (see <<http://www.opensource.apple.com/>).  It is
more oriented towards fixing problems rather than describing them, but
it's a start.  And of course the Darwin kernel contains the filesystem
code for HFS and HFS Plus.

-Mark

--Apple-Mail-1-250228849--