powermac 7200 hdd

hfs-interest@ccs.neu.edu hfs-interest@ccs.neu.edu
Wed, 09 Aug 2000 14:22:34 +0000

I am not sure if this is exactly on-topic, but i would be very grateful of any
help you can offer. Basically, i think i have crippled the scsi controller on
my boss's powermac 7200. (This occurred while trying to hook up an external
scsi cd-writer to do some file movement to his new machine. I turned the
burner on during boot, and also had it terminated. Both these are no-no's for
the machine (although i am consoled by others that scsi SHOULD be hot
swappable, and termination should not damage hardware). Local mac expert could
not get it to boot off cd, so looks like controller is knackered.)
Anyway, i have no access to other macs, and no way of knowing if the hdd is
intact or not. What i do have is my linux box (Dell precision 410) with
Adaptec 2940 U2W and Adaptec 2940 UW SCSI controllers on the motherboard. I
know from reading around, that it should be possible to mount the disk if i
can get it to work in the pc. what i don't know is how safe it is to do
something like this (is the disk real scsi). Will i end up with two broken
machines rather than one if i connect the drive to the pc controllers?! Things
like the apple advice not to terminate external devices due to the internal
hard drive being terminated do not give me confidence (seems at odds with all
other scsi advice i have found).

I understand nobody can guarantee anything, but if anyone subscribed to this
list thinks they know something relevant (like that i should not even think
about this) then i would appreciate the advice.
thanks
michael