Blessed Folder

Pat Dirks hfs-interest@ccs.neu.edu
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:03:09 -0700

Hi,

Just to be perfectly clear: you can force any folder to be the blessed
folder by putting its directoryID into the longword 92 decimal (5C hex)
into the THIRD block of the disk (block 0 and block 1 are boot blocks,
block 2, the third block on the disk, is the Master Directory Block or
MDB).

The Finder keys off the combined presence of "System" file and a "Finder"
file to direct blessing.  If you separate these two inside the currently
blessed folder, the folder will be unblessed and the Finder will start
keeping an eye out for new blessable folders.  The moment you open
another folder that has a "System" and a "Finder", that folder gets
blessed.

You can bless any folder while you're running by first going into the
current blessed folder, moving the Finder into, say, the Extensions
folder, then closing that [old] system folder and opening the folder
you'd like to be blessed instead.  Once the new folder has been blessed
you can pop the Finder out of the Extensions folder in the old system
folder without changing the blessing.

Hope that clears it up,
-Patrick.