mounting Mac Syquest cartridge on Linux

Andras Kadinger hfs-interest@ccs.neu.edu
Tue, 06 May 1997 05:04:35 +0200

Dear Ambrose,

Ambrose Li wrote:

> Have anyone tried to mount a Mac Syquest cartridge on a Linux system?
> I tried but Linux was not able to read the partition table.

[In case, Holger's message did not help You.]

This message is of little or no concern to You when accessing Macintosh
volumes.
The Macintosh uses a completely different partition table format than
PCs.
The Linux kernel itself - being a mainly PC-oriented OS - can not (yet)
recognize
a Macintosh partition table - as it states it. Of course this also
means, that the usual
partition devices (eg. sda1) become unaccessible, so You can only access
the base devices (eg. sda).

For Macintosh paritioning purposes You may choose to use the MkLinux
pdisk tool (able to read/write
Macintosh partition tables, just like fdisk does with PC partitions;
from ver. 0.4 also includes Mac application). However, simply for
accessing (reading/writing) an already existing Macintosh
volume You do not need to use that tool.

For reading/writing purposes You can use:

1. hfsutils, which is a package consisting of command line and/or X
(Tcl/Tk) based
   tools for essentially replicating the functionality of ls, cp, mkdir,
rmdir, rm,
   mkfs, etc. for HFS volumes (includes graphical frontend)
   PROs: completely userland solution - no need to be root to do
insmod/modprobe
         mkfs functionality - able to create Macintosh volumes[*]
   CONs: completely userland solution - can only be used manually

2. hfs-fs, which is a kernel filesystem module (written by Paul H.
Hargrove)
   PROs: * completely kernel solution - VFS module, any program can take
advantage of
         * special compatibility modes for netatalk and CAP - seamless
integration
   CONs: * completely kernel solution - need to become root to do
insmod/modprobe
         * no mkfs functionality - can not create new volumes

Since both are HFS, You have the advantage of being able to read
something written by
the other (note: side effect: Macintoshes can also read and write these
volumes :-), and
this way You can eliminate some of the "CON"s.

[* - I have a concern about how to create a completely Macintosh
friendly HFS partition
     map and volume(s) from scratch without using any Mac tools. Any
help appreciated.]

> I am using Linux 2.0.30, aha152x SCSI driver and hfs 0.95.

You do not state, whether You use hfsutils (which currently is at least
at version 2.0),
or hfs-fs (which has got its version 0.8.4 announced a just couple of
weeks ago) [or did I miss
any new announcements?].

I would recommend upgrading to hfs-fs 0.8.4 in case You do not yet have
that, or have an older version.

Hope this helps, and I did not tell You too much things You already
knew.
Mail me, if You have additional concerns.

Andras Kadinger
bandit@freeside.elte.hu