new hfstools command : hdisk?

Justin "Rhys Thuryn" McNutt hfs-interest@ccs.neu.edu
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 07:58:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Stefan Reinauer wrote:

> > Partition naming is O/S dependent, so the hfstools might require some
> > knowledge about the O/S partition naming scheme. For information,
> > mklinux uses standard linux device names, ie. /dev/sd followed by scsi
> > device (a-h map to device ID 0-7) then partition number (0 is raw
> > disk, 1 is hfs partition map, 2 is (often) a driver partition, 3 is
> > (often) the first hfs partition, etc).
> >
> > eg : /dev/sdc3 is scsi device 2 partition number 3.
>
> hfstools do not need about partition naming scheme. This needs
> to be implemented into the kernel, I think.

They don't need to be implemented anywhere.  The partitions are named when
you name the device files, which could be named anything you want.  I
could make /dev/harddrive1 point to device 8, 0 (/dev/sda normally).  If
the utilities that manipulate device are written correctly (fdisk), the
partitions should show up as:

/dev/harddrive11
/dev/harddrive12
/dev/harddrive13

This isn't a function of hfstools or the kernel.  It's just a
commonly-followed convention.

--------
Got a Linux problem?  Or can you help others solve them?  Visit the Linux
Common Problems page at http://vortex.cc.missouri.edu/~rhys/linux.html

Have you seen this computer:  IBM ValuePoint 466DX2  S/N: 23AVPLT
Stolen from MU campus December '94 from Mark Twain Hall.
If seen, please send mail to ccthuryn@showme.missouri.edu.